And wow, it didn't feel that long ago since I posted this recipe, but gosh, 5 years has just gone by really quickly!
It is in fact one of the few cakes I constantly receive positive feedback on, which is sweet music to my ears. ;)
And as you can see, I've baked this cake as gifts for my friends' birthday too.
I hope you'll enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do.
Banana Jungle Cake
Recipe adapted from Exclusively Food & modified by The Bakeanista
- 125g butter, softened
- 330g sugar
- 280g very ripe, mashed banana
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 100ml buttermilk
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 160 deg'C fan-forced. If you don't have a fan-forced oven, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease the side and base of a 22cm diameter round cake pan. I used a springform pan for easy removal of the cake. Line base of the pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Takes about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in banana and vanilla, mix well.
- Add in the eggs, one by one. Ensuring it is well incorporated before adding in the other egg.
- Scrape down the sides of your mixing bowl. Add buttermilk and mix well to combine.
- Sift flour, and bicarbonate of soda together into a large bowl. Slowly add flour mixture into the mixture until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer or knife inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave cake to cool on a wire rack. Spread cooled cake with cream cheese icing. Store cake in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 90g cream cheese, softened
- 45g butter, softened
- 1/2-1 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
Beat cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until creamy. Add sifted icing sugar and beat until smooth. Add lemon juice and beat to combine. Spread icing over top and sides of cooled cake. You may wish to use more icing sugar, but it's all up to you on how you'd like the taste and consistency to be. :)
Good luck, and enjoy! :)