In my attempt to lose weight, I believe I had to eat healthier and so I have tried to incorporate all of the above in my meal planning.
I've done quite well thus far. Instead of having, say for example, bread with butter and kaya spread, I have a glass of banana smoothie.
|Overnight oats & chia seeds with juicy berries, sunflower seeds and raisins!|
I was sooooo excited when I came across Iron Chef Shellie's post on the most amazing Vanilla Granola recipe. She sold me right in.
I got home wanting to make some right away. But I hesitated; instead I went to the gym, prepared and ate my dinner, washed up... And I was still thinking about it! GODDAMNYOU GRANOLA!
I knew I had all the ingredients sitting around in my pantry, so I contemplated no more and got down to business. Best decision made!
They're so darn bloody good. Not what I'd ever expect granola to taste like. Even when they were baking in the oven... oh my! My kitchen smelt so divine!
Even the Boyfriend who doesn't eat granola, said it was good. Yeap, I forced some into his mouth! "Try babe, TRY!!!" :P
Recipe adapted from Iron Chef Shellie and modified by The Bakeanista
- 1/4 cup raw caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled instant oats
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup macadamias, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- Seasonal fruits
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a baking tray with foil and lightly grease.
- Place caster sugar, vanilla extract, and 1/2 cup (125ml) water in a small pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5-6 minutes until syrupy. Leave aside to cool.
- Combine oats, cinnamon, oil, brown sugar and nuts in a bowl. Add vanilla syrup and toss to combine. Spread granola in a single layer on the lined tray and bake for 30-35 mins, stirring twice in the final 20 minutes, until dry and golden.
- I know like myself, you'd be very eager to pop some into your mouth, but I'd highly suggest to let it cool or your tongue might get burnt. Yeap, this is me speaking from experience.
- Serve the granola with yogurt and fruit.
Michele was right, I should have made a double batch. Should have! But it's okay, I'll be making another batch soon. Hmmm... Actually if you will excuse me, I'm off to make some now. Toodles! *runs to kitchen*