Because I didn't know whereabouts in the CBD sells chicken pie without cream and it was such a hassle to go suss it out, I decided I might as well just make it.
Whilst googling, I stumbled upon Retro Mummy's recipe and love how she has noted that this recipe was super easy and yummy! WIN! :D
I gathered all the ingredients the night before so it saves me having to go to the supermarket after work. It didn't take me long to prepare at all. The recipe was so easy to follow, anyone can make it, really!
Easy Chicken Pie
Recipe adapted from Retro Mummy and modified by The Bakeanista
2 chicken breasts (about 600g)
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 handfuls sliced mushrooms
250g of bacon, diced
1 medium leek, trimmed, halved, washed, sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
2 cups chicken stock
Splosh of white wine (Approx 1/2 cup of Chardonnay)
1 dash of ground herbs (I used basil, thyme and parsley)
2 sheets puff pastry
1 egg and dash of milk
salt and pepper for seasoning
1) Dice chicken breasts into small chunks. Heat up olive oil in pan, and brown chicken for 10 minutes until cooked right through. Set aside.
2) Using the same pan, melt butter and saute onions, mushroom, bacon and leek. You can opt to use olive oil should you wish for a healthier option, but trust me, the butter makes it all the more yummier!
3) Add in flour then whisk in the stock. Add in a good splosh of white wine at this point (you can omit this step if you like). Allow sauce to thicken, add herbs and season well. Finally, add in the chicken and combine well.
4) Butter up a pie dish/tart tin and place a sheet of your puff pastry in. Pour filling in and then top with the other sheet of puff pastry. Trim corners off and join the edges of the pastry together the whole way around.
5) Brush with an egg wash of a beaten egg and a bit of milk. Bake in a preheated 180 degree oven for about 30 minutes until golden brown, remove from the oven and enjoy.
I had some friends over for dinner, and they absolutely loved it! So did the Brudder who initially said, "I want just a light dinner, so don't have to cook too much for me" and guess what?
He ended up with two servings!!! So much so I think our guests left still feeling hungry. *guilty*
My girlfriend even What's App-ed me today asking me for the recipe because her boyfriend said it was so yummy he wants her to learn how to make it!
This only goes to show this recipe is an absolute winner - I can't wait to make it again! And that's why I decided to blog about this, so I could share the yumminess with y'all. :D