I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Friday, December 10, 2010

bou-lan-gerie

noun
a bakery shop, specifically one that specializes in breads, rolls, etc.

Before I jetted off to Sydney with Jenna, I've done quite a fair bit of research on where to dine at. After all, our Sydney trip was meant to be a food trip. I came across this bakery, called the Bourke Street Bakery and read plenty of good reviews.

On Google Map, it didn't seem that far away from where we bunked at during our stay in Sydney, so we decided to take a short walk over. But on our journey up Bourke Street, it felt like we were never reaching.

We kept going, "Gosh, are we there yet?" Added on with the sun scorching through our flesh, we were sweating and panting by the time we arrived.

I read to know that there's usually quite a queue descending out the small entrance, but fortunately for us, we didn't have to queue. There were even a couple of tables inside the small bakery that were vacant! :D
  
I couldn't help gawking at the tarts and cakes that were displayed behind the glass counter. Everything looked so good, I wanted to try as much as my tummy could possibly stuff.

On the left, is my Strawberry Vanilla Creme Brulee tart. As I bit in, I couldn't help but plaster a big wide goofy smile on my face as the toffee gave a good crackling sound.

I looked at Jenna, and gave her a look that says, "Gawd, I'm having tartgasm." Yes, I kid you not, it really was THAT good.

The tart on the right, topped with chopped pistachio garnishing is Jenna's Ginger Creme Brulee tart. I had a bite of it, but didn't enjoy it at all as I'm not a big fan of ginger. Jenna, on the other hand, who LOVES ginger, totally adored it! 

The Pear and Almond tart on the far left end wasn't as fantastic as the other tarts though. The frangipane was soft and crumbly, but I guess it just wasn't too spectacular. The Passionfruit Meringue in the background, however, is a whole different story altogether.

'TARTGASMIC' is the word best used to describe this delicious tart. The filling was smooth and creamy-like, but not too rich. Everything was just right; in fact I'd say this tart's a gem!

Before we left, we decided to share yet another tart. I made Jenna decide which tart we should go for next, and she opted for the raspberry and chocolate mousse tart.

The dark chocolate mousse was so generously rich in flavor; I bet you a chocoholic would totally get their chocolate fix from this creamy tart.

Ahhhh, Bourke Street Bakery is simply heaven sent! *hearts*

Bourke Street Bakery on Urbanspoon

Don't get yourself confused alright; Sydney and Melbourne shares a fair amount of street names. So, just to ensure you don't wander along Bourke Street in Melbourne, trying to look for this awesome boulangerie, Bourke Street Bakery is located in Surry Hills, Sydney.

Now, I'd be really really grateful if you'd like to get me a copy of their cookbook this upcoming Christmas: Bourke Street Bakery – The Ultimate Baking Companion by Paul Allam! Maybe I should try bugging the brudder since it's on a discount now. :P

5 comments :

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

quick quick quick, blog more haha..

Michelle Chin said...

So jealous. I also wanna go Sydney! Don't tell me you're going to tetsuya's.

- m i c h e l l e - said...

Joe: I guess I will slowly post up one by one. :)

Mich: Hahaha nah, i went to quay (next upcoming post) instead of tetsuya.

nana0709 said...

omg i'm craving for that passionfruit meringue tart!!!! mich pls make it make it~!!!!!

- m i c h e l l e - said...

Okie, I will try to make before I go back home! Even if that means I need to make the tart base by hand!

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)