But last weekend, I said "OK, let's go to Woolies to grab some stuff and I will cook you dinner!" And so I did. I adapted the recipe from the latest Donna Hay magazine and whipped up the sticky soy and ginger roast chicken which was featured on the cover page.
Sticky Soy & Ginger Roast Chicken
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay Magazines (Oct/Nov 2013 issue)
- 1 cup dark soy sauce
- 1 cup kecap manis (I stick to the Indonesian ABC brand)
- 1/3 cup of Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 40g ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 whole star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 dried chillies
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and bruised
- 1 whole chicken (approx. 1.6kg), rinsed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C.
- Place all the ingredients (minus the chicken) into a large heavy-based ovenproof saucepan and place over high heat to bring to the boil.
- Secure chicken legs with kitchen string and place the chicken, breast-side down in the pan.
- Baste chicken with the cooking liquid then transfer into oven to cook, uncovered for 40 minutes, basting every 20 minutes.
- Carefully turn the chicken breast-side up, and cook for a further 30 minutes, basting every 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan and strain the juices. Cut the chicken into pieces and serve with the pan juices alongside some sides.
But if you're after a simple recipe when you want to spend a night in over the weekend, here's a good one to try. We sat in front of the telly, and devoured our dinner whilst watching Thor. I sat there all night going, "Just look at his hot body." ;)
I hope the Boyfriend enjoyed it, hmm I think he did... I meant the roast chicken, of course! xD