I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Steamed Eggs with Milk Custard

Every single time I travel to Hong Kong, there are a couple of things that I have to eat, not once, not twice, but a couple of times. Among my favourite, is 燉奶 (steamed milk custard), read as 'dan-nai', from either Yee Shun Milk Company or Australia Dairy & Co.

So when I stumbled upon this 鮮奶燉蛋 (steamed egg and milk custard) recipe, I quickly made my own. :D You can whip this dessert up in less than 5 minutes, minus the cooking time.

Steamed Eggs with Milk Custard (鮮奶燉蛋)
Recipe adapted from Christine and modified by The Bakeanista

Ingredients:
250ml milk
2 eggs
50g caster sugar


Method:
1) Prepare enough water for a 20 minutes steaming session in pan, place steaming rack on top. Then, bring water to boil.

2) Beat the eggs then sieve it to remove residue and bubbles.

3) Heat up milk for 40 seconds in the microwave until lukewarm. Note, do NOT boil milk.

4) Add sugar into milk, followed by beaten eggs and mix well. You don't need an electric mixer for this, a fork will do.

5) Pour mixture into two rice bowls, and cover with aluminium foil.

6) Place into steamer and cover with lid. Turn down to medium heat.

7) Let it steam for 15 minutes. Lift the lid up occasionally (I did so once every 5 minutes) to release some steam.

8) Your steamed egg and milk custard is DONE! Serve warm. ;)

It is really yummeh and I'm enjoying it as I blog now. Oh, and because I prefer mine cold, I refrigerated it for approximately 30-40 minutes. I'm having it served with a cuppa hot milk tea too; enjoying it all the Hong Kong way. I saved one for the brudder, hopefully this dessert will plaster a smile on his tired face the same way it did on mine. :)

Have a go at it, it's so simple you don't even have to think twice. :)

2 comments :

Options Trader said...

Thanks for the recipe. Do you think it's as good as the one in HK?

The Bakeanista said...

Hi there, of course mine wouldn't be as good as the shops' but good enough to satisfy my cravings. :)

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)