I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Friday, September 3, 2010

Mee-hoon-kueh? What's that?

The other day I tweeted about cooking mee-hoon-kueh for mummy and myself for lunch, and I got a reply asking what it actually is. So, I thought it'll be nice to blog about my favourite comfort food. :D

Mee-hoon-kueh is a traditional Hokkien dish which used to be a poor man's staple. Contrary to the word mee-hoon being rice vermicelli, the mee-hoon here is actually 'flour' in Hokkien dialect.

The noodle dough is made out of kneading plain flour with water. I personally prefer to add egg into the dough, but you can omit it if you like. You then flatten the flour dough, and pull it into small, preferably thin pieces for me, and throw it into the ikan bilis (anchovies) broth.

I like to add in a few slices of lean pork, choy sum, and sliced dried mushrooms that have already been softened.

Garnish with some fried ikan bilis and fried shallots, sprinkle a dash of white pepper and you're good to dig in. :D

Some call it pan mee, but pan mee has to be rolled out to noodle form with the steel roller used to make pasta.

Mee-hoon-kueh is a more traditional home-cooked style, which I prefer better. It's cheap, filling and easy to make. No kidding! ;)

If you like meddling about the kitchen, you should give this dish a try! Here's one detailed recipe that you might wanna follow. Good luck! :D

No comments :

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)