I will no longer be updating this blog.
DO CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG AT WWW.THEBAKEANISTA.COM

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Picnic Date at The Botanical Gardens

I've always wanted to go on a picnic date - you know, the romantic kind where you stretch out on a picnic rug next to your date, overlooking a mesmerizing view with the summer breeze caressing your hair while you feed each other chocolate strawberries?

Yeap, that's my idea of a perfect picnic.

Except, we don't have a rug nor a picnic basket, and I just didn't have time that weekend to prepare sandwiches, make muffins or set up a fruit platter... Oh, and The Boyfriend doesn't eat strawberries. :P

So we did it the easy way, and went on a Cheat Picnic Date last Sunday to mark the end of The Boyfriend's two weeks break.

It was perfect weather, The Boyfriend picked me up and we drove to The Botanical Gardens. All I did was prepare green tea in a thermos flask and grabbed a bottle of water from home. Easy peasy.

We then rocked up to Ichi Ichi Ku Izakaya which is located just a two minutes walk away from the park at Entrance D and took away a bento box and The Boyfriend's fav spider roll (yeap, soft shell crab again!).

The bento box came with a big bowl of miso soup, and they were packed neatly in a large brown paper bag with cutlery and serviette prepared for you.

There are tables outside the park if you prefer, but we went in to the garden itself and plopped ourselves down on a bench and ate with the food on our lap.

The only bit I got annoyed with were the flies! Pfft, they would not stop attacking my food, it felt like I was dancing on the chair just trying to move away from them!

But the overall experience was fun, and different - we weren't sitting at the table at a restaurant, playing with our respective phones (tsk tsk I know) whilst waiting for the food to arrive.

We were sitting next to each other, talking and admiring the greens whilst the birds chirp away... and of course, enjoying our lunch.

The bento box includes two slices of grilled kingfish, fresh sashimi, pumpkin salad, tempura prawn with brown rice and fresh fruits to cleanse your palette when done.

It was healthy, filling and tasted so so good, I felt like it was worth every penny spent. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

You know that "moved by food" kind of feeling? ♥ ♥ ♥ Believe it or not, that was how I felt! I seriously cannot recommend Ichi Ichi Ku Izakaya enough. Aiya, you simply need to try to understand!

Needless to say, The Boyfriend had to put up with me going, "hmmm... hmmmm.... so yummy... hmmmm" with every bite I took.

I was all smiles after I was done with my bento, which only goes to show how much I enjoyed it. :D

Then off we went to get acquainted with mother nature. I love going for walks with The Boyfriend (on days when I am not lazy hehehe), just strolling hand-in-hand. It is quite therapeutic.

Uh-hem, excuse this onion head but selfies were a must with the beautiful flowers. Plus my jump suit was all matchy-matchy with the roses! #anyexcusetocamwhore xD

Of course if you're childish like I am, you can go chasing the ducks whilst chanting quack quack! The Boyfriend couldn't stop laughing when I jokingly said, "Oh duckie duckie, imma catch you and cook you!" :P

It was relaxing, casual and fun! The weather was great, food was fantastic, and of course, the company was best! ♥ I can't wait to do it again! Next time I'd put in more effort and prepare some snacks or finger food for us. :)

You'll thank me for one day for saying this yet again, but I highly recommend Ichi Ichi Ku Izakaya.

Ichi Ichi Ku on Urbanspoon
There is only one variation of the bento box ($22) available per day, and I believe it changes every couple of days, if not daily.

But if you're not up for the bento, there are many other items on the menu - such as sushi rolls with brown rice, crepes, and they even have a breakfast menu if you arrive before 11am.

Oh, and just a little tip if you're keen to go on a picnic date at The Botanical Gardens too - I would highly recommend that you do it on a Sunday because you've got unlimited and free street parking where you don't have to worry about moving your car/putting in extra coins etc.

And that's a wrap. I hope this post will inspire you to head out, enjoy the sun and go on a picnic date too. Happy Summer!! :)

No comments :

Click on 'OLDER POSTS' for more! :)